These days, every company talks about going green. At JK Moving Services, we don't just pay lip service to sustainability, but rather, we strive to be greener with everything we do, and with every move we make.
From our Boxless Move®, which utilizes plastic reusable crates, to our inventory reuse programs and best-practice recycling policy, we're revolutionizing the way people move. And we're constantly looking for new and more eco-intelligent ways to improve our operations across the board.
We will continue to pursue innovations that improve performance and preserve the earth for future generations. Everyone at JK is committed to keeping customers moving by offering eco-friendly solutions. We will continue to conserve resources through responsible fleet management techniques and efficient onsite operations. We will follow the path to sustainability with our partners, in pursuit of a brighter future for all.
Green moving services.
The Boxless Move®: A solution we pioneered in 2000 utilizes plastic crates instead of boxes. To date, The Boxless Move has saved more than 425,000 trees. The Boxless Move® program is a Zero Waste program. Zero Waste is a philosophy where all materials are recycled back into nature or the marketplace in a manner that protects human health and the environment. Find out more at www.zerowaste.org
Recycling and reuse services for clients: JK has helped clients donate tons of unwanted furniture to charity; and stopped it from ending up in a landfill.
e-Cycle: JK's electronic waste disposal program properly disposes of electronic parts that cannot be reused, and recycles those that can.
Warehousing and distribution services: JK helps clients store excess printed materials, such as stationery, brochures, and marketing materials, reducing the likelihood of reprinting due to lost or damaged materials.
Document shredding: Our records division, JK Records, shreds mass quantities of paper in short order and recycles it all.
Pre-move services: JK helps clients sort through things they want to keep, and sell, purge, or recycle, greatly reducing the number of items that might end up in a landfill.
Our trucks tread lightly on the earth. We maintain our fleet in-house to ensure optimal performance and give us the greatest control over resources. JK Moving's aggressive fleet reuse program includes:
- Re-treaded tires on trucks ensures optimal use of fuel
- Reuse of engine oil for heating at maintenance facility
- Recycling of batteries for both vehicles and forklifts
- Recycle of anti-freeze
- All trucks purchased since inception exceed existing emissions standards via industry partnerships with Volvo and Freightliner
- Intermodal (rail) transport used for long hauls when feasible
- Upgraded power units (on tractor trailers) with environmentally friendly generators to drastically reduce idling
- Use of ultra low sulfur diesel to reduce vehicle emissions
We have taken steps to reduce our carbon footprint throughout our business operations. Some of these changes include:
- Motion sensors used to control lighting in facilities
- Moving blankets are made from recycled fabrics
- Paper and cardboard recycling at warehouses
- Paperless driver logs and fuel tax reporting
- Compactor and auger greatly reduce the volume to the landfill
- Uniform service for mass washing and water conservation
- Separate wood from crating for recycling
Training is a part of everything we do at JK Moving Services. It's how we can continue to offer our clients the very best moving solutions, and the highest service. We also require our staff to undergo conservation training, as well.
- Staff-lead work group created to monitor opportunities for minimizing waste, creating efficiencies, and identifying new eco-friendly technologies
- Organization-wide training developed to educate staff on the importance of sustainability and how each individual can contribute at work and at home
Our company's small changes have made a huge impact. We started to wonder what would happen if everyone got involved. That's why we started taking our green initiatives to the street.
- "Moving Toward Sustainability" Award, March 26, 2009
- Community Clean Up Day with Crystal City Business Improvement District and Canon Inc
- Pilot e-Scrap program with Crystal City Business Improvement District (BID)—Provides opportunity for residents to properly dispose/recycle hazardous electronic components
The Boxless Move has saved more than 425,000 trees!
Thanks to the Boxless Move®, more than 3 million cardboard boxes have been AVOIDED: JK prevented 25,000 tons of cardboard (or the equivalent of 45 football fields stacked three feet high!) from going into the landfill.
Did you know? In one year, a single tree will
- Generate $31,250 of oxygen
- Provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control
- Control $31,250 worth of soil erosion
- Recycle $37,500 worth of water.
The Boxless Move® has saved enough trees to:
- Generate $13,281,250,000 worth of oxygen
- Provide $26,350,000,000 worth of air pollution control
- Recycle $15,937,500,000 worth of water
- Control $13,281,250,000 worth of soil erosion
Total Environmental Savings
In total, The Boxless Move® has provided $68,850,000,000 of positive environmental impacts!